9.30.2009

Monday, August 8, 2005

I awoke tangled in a sleeping bag, travel towel and scarf, and sweating in my many layers of socks and tank tops. It was my first day in Bayeux, and James and I were on a mission.

Omaha Beach, Normandy, France

We had decided during our planning stages that we would visit the D-Day Beaches of Normandy. It would be an especially meaningful experience for both of us because our grandfathers had each taken part in the D-Day invasion during World War II. James’s grandfather was a tank commander for the British Army. He went ashore on Sword Beach during Operation Neptune in 1944.

My grandfather's flight log

My grandfather was a ball turret gunner on a B17 Flying Fortress called “Pretty Baby,” and flew two missions over the D-Day beaches, which my family discovered only recently. We have his flight log and there are two entries for June 6, 1944, both labeled “Invasion Coast, France.” He was stationed in England for part of World War II, and participated in over 30 missions between May and September of 1944. He flew over mostly France and Germany, but he also flew over Belgium, Czechoslovakia and Denmark a few times.

"Johnny and His 'Ball', 3-44"
My grandfather next to a ball turret on a B-17

Crew of Flying Fortress "Pretty Baby"
My grandfather is in the top row, second from the left

My mom tells me that her father never talked about the war, which I gather is pretty common. James’s grandfather rarely talked about his fighting experiences, only the camaraderie he felt with his fellow veterans.

My grandfather is on the right

James and I caught a bus from the Bayeux train station that took us through the French countryside toward the beaches. After what felt like forever, we took a chance and got off the bus. We wandered down the road and found ourselves at the American Cemetery on the bluffs above Omaha Beach.

American Cemetery, Normandy, France

No photos, movies or books could have prepared me for the sheer scale of white crosses and Stars of David. They went on forever, rows and rows of them. When you see the enormity of the memorials and realize that each white marble marker represents a person who was lost, and that there were many, many more beyond what you can see, it’s hard to not feel emotional. I saw a woman crying in the chapel, and many others with tears in their eyes. I wondered if they were searching for the graves of family members.

American Cemetery, Normandy, France

James and I wandered among the markers, reading some of the names, noticing the flowers left. Some graves had wet sand rubbed across the carved names, locations and dates, pressed into the letters and numbers so they could be read easily. This single cemetery contains the remains of 9,387 people. There are 13 more American World War II cemeteries on foreign soil*. That’s only American cemeteries. From that, just try and imagine how many were lost. It’s unreal.

We took the path down the bluffs and onto the beach itself. It was a beautiful day, with hardly any clouds in the sky. We could see beachgoers farther down the coast, and the wind carried only the faintest sounds of laughter over the surf. James and I were quiet. I think we were both lost in our own thoughts, imagining what it must have been like for other young people, two in particular, in the same place we were standing in 1944.

Omaha Beach, Normandy, France

*Figure taken from a leaflet prepared by The American Battle Monuments Commission, Normandy American Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment